Visit the Central Highlands, Namibia
Running down Namibia's spine the Central Highlands separate the Kalahari from the dunes of the Namib. The area is home to plenty of wildlife as well as the AfriCat Foundation.
The Central Highlands, Namibia
Running down Namibia's spine the Central Highlands separate the Kalahari from the dunes of the Namib. The rolling hills and wide valleys are covered in farms, many of which have turned from cattle to game, and are known as game farms.
There are a few small towns with wide streets lined with trees, friendly people and little shops. Just north of Windhoek, the small pleasant town of Okahandja has a superb wood carving community and several markets — it's a good place for buying curios and gifts.
In this area you will also find a number of large game farms. The most famous of these is Okonjima, home to the AfriCat Foundation and known for its work in cheetah and leopard rehabilitation.
There is the little farm of Frans Indongo, perfect for an overnight stop and finally a large ranch known as Mundulea. Mundulea is little known, very wild and a superb place for walking safaris.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Central Highlands
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Central Highlands, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Central Highlands
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Central Highlands
- Erongo Mountains The Central Highlands
- Waterberg Plateau The Central Highlands
- Windhoek 37 kilometers away
- The Naukluft Mountains 222 kilometers away
- Swakopmund and Pelican Point 259 kilometers away
- Walvis Bay 268 kilometers away
- Sossusvlei & Sesriem 324 kilometers away
- Southern Namibia 324 kilometers away
- The NamibRand Nature Reserve 329 kilometers away
- Damaraland 380 kilometers away
- Etosha National Park 406 kilometers away
- Northern Namibia 451 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for the Central Highlands
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Central Highlands. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.