Visit the Naukluft Mountains, Namibia
The Naukluft Mountains are about an hour's drive to the northeast of Sesriem and Sossusvlei and make an ideal stop either on the way to or from the dunes.
It is superb walking country with rocky outcrops, deep river valleys and freshwater springs where you can swim when the weather is hot.
Wildlife of the Naukluft Mountains
There are lots of wild animals including baboon, steenbok, kudu, Hartmann's mountain zebra and klipspringer. Leopard are present but rarely seen. Over 200 bird species have been recorded and the Naukluft is the southernmost limit of many species of the northern Namib, including Ruppell's parrot and the pretty rosy-faced lovebirds.
The air is crystal clear, you'll not meet another person all day and sunsets over the mountains are spectacular.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Naukluft Mountains
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Naukluft Mountains, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Naukluft Mountains
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Naukluft Mountains
- Southern Namibia 105 kilometers away
- Sossusvlei & Sesriem 108 kilometers away
- The NamibRand Nature Reserve 113 kilometers away
- Windhoek 194 kilometers away
- Walvis Bay 204 kilometers away
- The Central Highlands 222 kilometers away
- Swakopmund and Pelican Point 222 kilometers away
- Erongo Mountains 269 kilometers away
- Aus 291 kilometers away
- Lüderitz 303 kilometers away
- Waterberg Plateau 425 kilometers away
- Fish River Canyon 442 kilometers away
- Southern Kalahari 461 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for the Naukluft Mountains
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Naukluft Mountains. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.