Visit Erongo Mountains, Namibia
The Erongo Mountain range is a beautiful spot for walks, interesting scenery and bird watching.
Only a few hour's drive from Windhoek to the north-west, it is easily accessible and makes for a good starting point or few days to relax at the end of your trip in Namibia.
The mountains are granitic, formed from an extinct volcano and rise to 2,320m above sea level at their highest point. Known for their interesting mineral content, aquamarine and topaz have been found here. There are also several caves and rock painting sites which you can visit, some of which are thought to date back more than 2,000 years.
All of the accommodation around the Erongo Mountains offer walks of varying lengths, depending on how much you wish to exert yourself. You may come across some of the resident wildlife and birdlife which include springboks, kudus, Hartmann's mountain zebras, rock hyrax, peregrine falcons and rosy-faced lovebirds.
Map of Erongo Mountains
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Erongo Mountains
- The Central Highlands 152 kilometers away
- Swakopmund and Pelican Point 163 kilometers away
- Windhoek 176 kilometers away
- Walvis Bay 186 kilometers away
- Waterberg Plateau 218 kilometers away
- Damaraland 236 kilometers away
- The Naukluft Mountains 269 kilometers away
- Etosha National Park 330 kilometers away
- Sossusvlei & Sesriem 342 kilometers away
- Southern Namibia 348 kilometers away
- The NamibRand Nature Reserve 380 kilometers away
- Northern Namibia 415 kilometers away
- Kaokoland 459 kilometers away
Photos of Erongo Mountains
Accommodation choices for Erongo Mountains
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Erongo Mountains. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Set in a secluded valley surrounded by the dramatic scenery of the Erongo Mountains, this characterful lodge has a traditional African style and provides accommodation in stilted chalets hidden amongst the rocks. The area is a haven for a diverse range of flora and fauna.