Visit Waterberg Plateau, Namibia
The Waterberg Plateau is a large sandstone plateau of red rock, formed around 200 million years ago.
In 1972 the plateau and surrounding land was declared a national reserve, and due to its inaccessibility, was used as a location for rehabilitating rare wildlife species such as black and white rhino, sable antelope and eland. There are also more than 200 bird species to be found here, including Cape vultures and black eagles.
The area is also historically significant, as the site where the German colonial army fought the resident Herero people at the turn of the century, resulting in many of the Herero retreating and moving into Botswana (then Bechuanaland).
The main draw for visitors is the walking, and there are numerous hikes either guided or unguided, leading you along the foot of the plateau and some of the more strenuous hikes taking you up onto the top of the plateau.
This is by far the most rewarding and enjoyable way to enjoy the beautiful scenery of this region and a chance to encounter some of the wildlife such as rock hyrax, lizards and antelope.
Speak to someone
who's been there
Start planning your tailor-made trip to Waterberg Plateau by contacting one of our Namibia specialists
- Make an inquiry
Map of Waterberg Plateau
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Waterberg Plateau
- The Central Highlands 209 kilometers away
- Erongo Mountains 218 kilometers away
- Etosha National Park 228 kilometers away
- Windhoek 243 kilometers away
- Northern Namibia 245 kilometers away
- Damaraland 321 kilometers away
- Swakopmund and Pelican Point 380 kilometers away
- Rundu 382 kilometers away
- Khaudum National Park 397 kilometers away
- Walvis Bay 402 kilometers away
- The Naukluft Mountains 425 kilometers away
- Kaokoland 465 kilometers away
Photos of Waterberg Plateau
Accommodation choices for Waterberg Plateau
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Waterberg Plateau. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Waterberg Wilderness LodgeWaterberg Plateau
Waterberg Plateau LodgeWaterberg Plateau