Visit Matagalpa, Nicaragua
Matagalpa is Nicaragua's fifth largest city and one of its most commercially active outside of Managua.
Matagalpa, along with nearby Jinotega, enjoys 'eternal spring' - all year spring-like weather and lying more than 700 meters above sea level with average temperatures ranging from 26°C to 28°C and relative humidity between 75% and 85%.
The surrounding area is lush and green full of undulating fields and mountainous forests, perfect for agriculture. It produces flowers, wood, corn, beans, fruits (oranges, grapefruits, bananas, plantains) and many kinds of vegetables such as broccoli, and cauliflower. It exports beef, cheese, coffee and cacao.
The temperate climate makes it perfect for growing excellent coffee and the area is becoming popular with ecotourists.
Accommodation choices for Matagalpa
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Matagalpa. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Matagalpa
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Matagalpa, and which use the best local guides.
Map of Matagalpa
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Matagalpa
- Managua 94 kilometers away
- Masaya Volcano National Park 107 kilometers away
- Granada 110 kilometers away
- León & Northern Nicaragua 118 kilometers away
- Ometepe Island 161 kilometers away
- San Juan del Sur 185 kilometers away
- Solentiname Islands 216 kilometers away
- Rio San Juan 263 kilometers away
- El Castillo 269 kilometers away
- The Corn Islands 323 kilometers away