Visit Managua, Nicaragua
Ravaged by decades of war, fire, earthquakes and hurricanes, it is a credit to the Nicaraguan people that Managua still stands today.
In its current incarnation the Nicaraguan capital consists of a vast conurbation whose identity is buried under a low-rise sprawl.
For most travelers, Managua is a springboard for the rest of the country but it does house a few points of interest: some museums, crumbling churches and reportedly the world’s oldest human footprints.
Suggested itineraries featuring Managua
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Managua, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Managua
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Managua
- Masaya Volcano National Park 22 kilometers away
- Granada 43 kilometers away
- León & Northern Nicaragua 74 kilometers away
- Matagalpa 94 kilometers away
- Ometepe Island 104 kilometers away
- San Juan del Sur 108 kilometers away
- Solentiname Islands 174 kilometers away
- Rio San Juan 234 kilometers away
- El Castillo 241 kilometers away
- The Corn Islands 351 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Managua
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Managua. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Managua
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Managua, and which use the best local guides.