The friendly fishing town of San Juan del Sur is located on Nicaragua’s Pacific coast. The town's horseshoe-shaped bay is now one of Nicaragua's main tourist destinations along with the colonial city of Granada, but despite its popularity it has not lost any of its charm and retains its identity as a small, sleepy fishing village.
It is set on a crescent shaped bay flanked by steep, rocky headlands covered in thick forest. Its main activity is fishing and numerous small local restaurants are set on the town's beach serving excellent fresh local seafood.
Although the town's beach is not the tropical idyll you may be expecting, overlooked by the new development projects in the area, there are plenty of pristine, empty beaches to explore further afield. El Coco, Chacocente, El Astillero and La Flor are some of the most beautiful and the coastline here is among the most picturesque in Central America.
Map of San Juan del Sur
Places & hotels on the map
Places near San Juan del Sur
- Ometepe Island 43 kilometers away
- Granada 76 kilometers away
- Masaya Volcano National Park 88 kilometers away
- Solentiname Islands 93 kilometers away
- Managua 109 kilometers away
- Rio San Juan 156 kilometers away
- El Castillo 164 kilometers away
- León & Northern Nicaragua 172 kilometers away
- Matagalpa 185 kilometers away
- The Corn Islands 324 kilometers away
Photos of San Juan del Sur
Accommodation choices for San Juan del Sur
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit San Juan del Sur. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.