Lying between Managua and Granada, Masaya Volcano National Park is a fascinating place to visit, en route between the two cities or as a day trip from either one.
The Santiago Crater
The main attraction is the huge Santiago Crater which has formed between the Nindiri and Masaya volcanoes. Throughout the 1900s there were frequent eruptions until, in 1985, the craters collapsed; even now sulfurous gasses still bellow forth and you can hear the lava thundering past below ground.
Surrounding the national park are some fascinating little market and craft towns worth exploring.
Map of Masaya Volcano National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Masaya Volcano National Park
- Managua 22 kilometers away
- Granada 24 kilometers away
- Ometepe Island 83 kilometers away
- San Juan del Sur 87 kilometers away
- León & Northern Nicaragua 93 kilometers away
- Matagalpa 107 kilometers away
- Solentiname Islands 153 kilometers away
- Rio San Juan 214 kilometers away
- El Castillo 221 kilometers away
- The Corn Islands 340 kilometers away