Despite Oregon's scenic beauty, Crater Lake is the state's only national park. This magnificent lake, the deepest in the US, was created some 7,700 years ago during a mighty volcanic explosion.
Rolling mountains, volcanic peaks and evergreen forests surround this enormous lake, a sacred place for the indigenous Klamath Native Americans for millennia.
In summer the lake's intense blue color and spectacular wildflower-strewn mountain scenery makes it a breathtaking place to visit. In the winter time, the park opens up like a winter wonderland.
From June until mid October visitors can drive along the awe-inspiring Rim Drive along the crater's edge, whilst boat cruises and scenic but quite strenuous hiking trails also beckon.
Look out for Wizard Island, the lake's largest, which is actually the tip of a still rising cinder cone.
Map of Crater Lake National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Crater Lake National Park
- Oregon 158 kilometers away
- Bend (Sisters) 161 kilometers away
- Crescent City 214 kilometers away
- Newport, Oregon 248 kilometers away
- Trinidad 265 kilometers away
- Eureka 290 kilometers away
- Portland 295 kilometers away
- Cannon Beach 364 kilometers away
- Mount St. Helens 367 kilometers away
- Mendocino 425 kilometers away
- Mount Rainier National Park 446 kilometers away
- Lake Tahoe 459 kilometers away
Photos of Crater Lake National Park
Accommodation choices for Crater Lake National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Crater Lake National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.