Visit Lake Tahoe, California
This large body of fresh water sits on the border between California and Nevada. It is the second deepest lake in the US and the blues and greens of the water reflect the sky.
Long before the first white Americans set foot here in 1844, Lake Tahoe was a sacred summer gathering place for several tribes of the peaceful Washo Nation whose traditional name for the area, Da-ow-a-ga, meaning "edge of the lake”, became anglicized as Tahoe.
Soon after Kit Carson and John Fremont’s arrival at the lake, silver was discovered in the Sierra Nevada Mountains and fortune seekers rushed to the area. By the turn of the century, luxury hotels catered to San Francisco’s elite, and in the mid 1940s the area’s first gambling establishments opened.
The 1960 Winter Olympics firmly established Lake Tahoe as one of the US's foremost ski resorts. Remarkably, the awe-inspiring beauty and pioneer charm of the lake has been maintained despite the tremendous development of the last 150 years.
Along with excellent modern amenities and exceptional outdoor activities, Lake Tahoe still offers the calm, peace and beauty that so inspired the Washo and all who have made the journey here since.
Map of Lake Tahoe
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lake Tahoe
- Sacramento 140 kilometers away
- Yosemite National Park 144 kilometers away
- Napa Valley 216 kilometers away
- Sonoma 230 kilometers away
- San Francisco 256 kilometers away
- Kings Canyon National Park 271 kilometers away
- Sequoia National Park 318 kilometers away
- Monterey 323 kilometers away
- Mendocino 326 kilometers away
- Carmel 328 kilometers away
- Big Sur 352 kilometers away
- Death Valley National Park 389 kilometers away
- Eureka 401 kilometers away
- Trinidad 413 kilometers away
- Pismo Beach 444 kilometers away
- Crater Lake National Park 459 kilometers away
- Crescent City 461 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Lake Tahoe
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lake Tahoe. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort is set against a background of towering pines on Lake Tahoe's north shore.