Visit Sonoma, California
Sonoma is a small Spanish colonial town at the end of the crescent shaped Sonoma Valley. This pretty oak studded region is renowned for its vineyards and there are many small, family-run wineries that offer tastings just a short walk from the town center.
The restored Mission San Francisco Solano de Sonoma was the northernmost, and last, of the California missions built by the Mexicans and is open to visitors daily.
Another feature of the town is the spacious plaza where the Bear Flag Revolt took place in 1846, propelling the state into independence from Mexico and then statehood with the USA.
Sonoma is also the final resting place of the well known author, Jack London, and the town hosts a museum housing a collection of his souvenirs.
Map of Sonoma
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Sonoma
- Napa Valley 15 kilometers away
- San Francisco 59 kilometers away
- Sacramento 91 kilometers away
- Mendocino 163 kilometers away
- Monterey 195 kilometers away
- Carmel 200 kilometers away
- Lake Tahoe 230 kilometers away
- Big Sur 233 kilometers away
- Yosemite National Park 259 kilometers away
- Eureka 315 kilometers away
- Trinidad 340 kilometers away
- Kings Canyon National Park 376 kilometers away
- Pismo Beach 387 kilometers away
- Sequoia National Park 399 kilometers away
- Crescent City 414 kilometers away
Photos of Sonoma
Accommodation choices for Sonoma
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Sonoma. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn is located in the wonderful wine growing region of Sonoma. It's situated right on top of natural mineral hot springs, which form the basis of the property's superb spa facilities, and is home to the Michelin award-winning Santé restaurant.
Just under an hour north of San Francisco, nestled among the wineries of the Sonoma Valley, this North California spa resort is a haven of casual sophistication.