Mu Cang Chai is the perfect alternative to using the night train to or from Sapa. Surrounded by luscious green rice terraces that dominate the landscape, it is a great chance to take in the breathtaking scenery and rest en route.
The area itself is completely untouched by tourism and therefore the accommodation options are basic and you have to be adventurous with your food choice as you will be eating in local restaurants. This does, however, mean that you will have the rare opportunity to meet the indigenous ethnic minority groups in an area that most tourists never visit.
Suggested itinerary featuring Mu Cang Chai
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Mu Cang Chai, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Mu Cang Chai
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Mu Cang Chai
- Sapa & the Tonkinese Alps 71 kilometers away
- Lao Cai 80 kilometers away
- Dien Bien Phu 126 kilometers away
- Northwest Vietnam 126 kilometers away
- Ha Giang 144 kilometers away
- Ky Son 152 kilometers away
- Mai Chau 161 kilometers away
- Hanoi 195 kilometers away
- Ninh Binh 256 kilometers away
- Halong Bay 318 kilometers away