Most people arrive at the thriving transport hub of Lao Cai after the overnight train from Hanoi.
If you have not had breakfast on the train, you may wish to have breakfast or a coffee at one of the cafés with a view across the Red River to China.
One of the many cafés right next to the bridge over to China is a smashing place for a bit of people watching!
Suggested itineraries featuring Lao Cai
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Lao Cai, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lao Cai
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lao Cai
- Sapa & the Tonkinese Alps 22 kilometers away
- Mu Cang Chai 73 kilometers away
- Ha Giang 111 kilometers away
- Dien Bien Phu 159 kilometers away
- Northwest Vietnam 159 kilometers away
- Ky Son 214 kilometers away
- Mai Chau 235 kilometers away
- Hanoi 254 kilometers away
- Ninh Binh 326 kilometers away
- Halong Bay 366 kilometers away
Photos of Lao Cai
Accommodation choices for Lao Cai
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lao Cai. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.