The Catlins is a totally absorbing off-the-beaten-track area, an untrodden world where small patches of tamed farmland have made little impression on a landscape of formidable cliffs, wild forests, pretty bays and calm estuaries.
The variety of birdlife is an ornithologist’s delight, with many sea, estuary and forest birds in residence and, if you are lucky, you may encounter the endangered yellow-eyed penguin.
Here life decelerates and hours are whiled away walking on the beach, whitebait catching, wandering through native bush and exploring the Cathedral Caves.
Map of the Catlins
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Catlins
- Stewart & Ulva Islands 62 miles away
- Dunedin 85 miles away
- The Otago Peninsula 92 miles away
- Te Anau & Manapouri 104 miles away
- Queenstown 109 miles away
- Arrowtown 114 miles away
- Glenorchy 125 miles away
- Doubtful Sound 128 miles away
- Lake Wanaka 131 miles away
- Milford Sound 144 miles away
- Twizel 169 miles away
- South Island 179 miles away
- Lake Tekapo 192 miles away
- Mount Cook National Park 204 miles away
- Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers 221 miles away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 270 miles away
- Christchurch 274 miles away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 280 miles away
- Hokitika 284 miles away
Photos of the Catlins
Accommodation choices for the Catlins
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Catlins. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.