Bellingen is an attractive tree-lined town on the banks of the Bellinger River surrounded by rich pasture lands.
The town offers a laid back and alternative lifestyle but still has plenty of local shops, cafés and a museum to explore. Bellingen Bat Island is a three hectare island that is home to a colony of 40,000 grey-headed flying foxes and it is a truly spectacular sight at dusk when they set off in search of food, filling the sky to spectacular effect.
Exploring Bellingen and around
There is a small vineyard nearby which is worth visiting and opportunities for walking, cycling, horse riding and canoeing along the river and in some of the beautiful forested national parks that surround the town.
Coffs Harbour is nearby on the stunning Pacific Coast of northern New South Wales which offers glorious sandy beaches, excellent fishing and a growing cosmopolitan center.
Suggested itinerary featuring Bellingen
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Bellingen, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Bellingen
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Bellingen
- Coffs Coast 20 kilometers away
- Coffs Harbour 30 kilometers away
- Byron Bay 214 kilometers away
- The Northern Rivers 214 kilometers away
- Lamington National Park 245 kilometers away
- Port Stephens 264 kilometers away
- Hunter Valley 298 kilometers away
- Brisbane 333 kilometers away
- Sydney 412 kilometers away
- Sunshine Coast 429 kilometers away
- The Blue Mountains 438 kilometers away