The Blue Mountains National Park covers 617,000 acres, and rises more than 1,000 meters above sea level; they are about 62 miles west of Sydney.
Listed on the World Heritage register, the Blue Mountains are known for eucalypt forests, rare plants, spectacular scenery, waterfalls, lookouts, cliff faces and numerous walking tracks.
Exploring the Blue Mountains
The region's cool climate has made it an ideal summer location for 'Sydneysiders' to escape the heat. Approaching the mountains they appear blue due to the haze produced by light reflecting off the fine droplets of oil given off by the eucalyptus trees that cover the rugged slopes and valleys.
Katoomba, (Aboriginal word meaning 'shiny, tumbling water') is the main town in the region and is a good starting point for exploring the area.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Blue Mountains
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Blue Mountains, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Blue Mountains
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Blue Mountains
- Sydney 83 kilometers away
- Kangaroo Valley 113 kilometers away
- Hunter Valley 141 kilometers away
- Jervis Bay 160 kilometers away
- Port Stephens 200 kilometers away
- Tilba Tilba 290 kilometers away
- Bermagui 301 kilometers away
- The Sapphire Coast 323 kilometers away
- Merimbula 354 kilometers away
- New South Wales 376 kilometers away
- Gipsy Point 422 kilometers away
- Bellingen 438 kilometers away
- Croajingolong National Park 452 kilometers away
- Coffs Coast 453 kilometers away
- Coffs Harbour 465 kilometers away
Photos of the Blue Mountains
Accommodation choices for the Blue Mountains
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Blue Mountains. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Responsible ChoiceWe've hand-selected a range of tours and stays across the world that go above and beyond to be a force for good by supporting local businesses, educating staff, challenging local norms, or promoting conservation and biodiversity efforts. Your Responsible Choice helps increase the positive impact of your trip.Blue Mountains