Named after the sparkling color of the sea, this region offers much for fans of the great outdoors and stretches from Eden near the Victorian border to Bermagui, just six hours south of Sydney.
The Bega Valley, famous for its rich dairy farming, is the main hub and has a softly rolling landscape which cradles many small villages.
Merimbula has miles of white sands and a beautiful lake lagoon and is an ideal stop for a night or two.
In Tilba Tilba time appears to have stood still and as well as being an area renowned for cheese, there are a number of craft workshops to be explored.
The reserve of Montague Island is a sanctuary for seabirds, seals and penguins and is easily reached from Tilba Tilba on a guided cruise.
The town of Eden, on Twofold Bay, has a deep and long relationship with whales and the skeleton of the legendary Orca, ‘Old Tom’, lies in The Killer Whale Museum. Whale, dolphin, seal and penguin watching are high on the agenda as this coast is one of the best places for viewing.
Places to visit in the Sapphire Coast
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Sapphire Coast, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Map of the Sapphire Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Sapphire Coast
- Bermagui The Sapphire Coast
- Merimbula The Sapphire Coast
- Tilba Tilba The Sapphire Coast
- Gipsy Point 101 kilometers away
- Croajingolong National Park 134 kilometers away
- Jervis Bay 177 kilometers away
- Kangaroo Valley 215 kilometers away
- Metung 238 kilometers away
- The Gippsland Lakes 272 kilometers away
- The Blue Mountains 323 kilometers away
- Sydney 325 kilometers away
- Walhalla 348 kilometers away
- Wilsons Promontory National Park 414 kilometers away
- Yarra Valley & Dandenong Ranges 428 kilometers away
- Hunter Valley 445 kilometers away
- Victoria 466 kilometers away
- Melbourne 467 kilometers away
- Mornington Peninsula 468 kilometers away
- Phillip Island 469 kilometers away
- Port Stephens 475 kilometers away