This beautiful game lodge is in a private concession of the Marakele National Park in the Waterberg, around 3.5 hours' drive northwest of Johannesburg. The style is an intriguing combination of stone and canvas with a delightful genuine African feel to the main lodge.
The 15 tented suites are spacious with open-plan en suite bathrooms with huge stone baths, as well as indoor and outdoor shower. Each room's private deck has stunning views over the bush to the majestic mountains beyond, which glow pink when the sun sets. The food is innovative while the Marataba staff are exceptionally friendly and welcoming.
The Marakele Reserve itself has the Big Five as well as various plains antelope, giraffe and cheetah and the rangers are first-rate with knowledge on everything from dung beetles to elephant.
who's been there
- Make an inquiry
Photos of Marataba Safari Lodge
Location & places nearby
Places & hotels on the map
Alternative places to stay nearby
Where possible, we like to offer a range of accommodation for each stop of your trip, chosen by our specialists as some of their favorite places to stay. To help you make the right choice, we give each property a rating based on its facilities and service, but we also look for hotels with distinct character or a location that can’t be bettered.
The Waterberg and nearby places
- The Pilanesberg National Park 112 kilometers away
- The Madikwe Game Reserve 136 kilometers away
- Johannesburg 212 kilometers away
- Greater Makalali Game Reserve 313 kilometers away
- The Escarpment 329 kilometers away
- Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve 330 kilometers away
- Kapama Private Game Reserve 356 kilometers away
- Hazyview 369 kilometers away
- Thornybush Reserve 367 kilometers away
- Timbavati Game Reserve 381 kilometers away