The Waterberg region has been described as South Africa’s best kept secret. Its rugged beauty, together with its diversity of plant and animal life, has led to the development of several exciting ecotourism projects including a biosphere reserve, the Waterberg Conservancy, which is an amalgamation of game and farming areas protecting more than 1500 square kilometres of the Waterberg habitat.
The Waterberg range, incorporating many rivers, streams and swamps, stretches for 150 kilometres in a long arc from Thabazimbi in the west, through Nylstroom in the centre, to Potgietersrus in the east.
Apart from the spectacular mountain scenery there are many game sanctuaries, nature reserves and farms; often offering accommodation.
The 75 mammal species include big game such as elephant, lion, white and black rhino, hippo, leopard and buffalo. African python and Nile crocodile are also resident and it is a birdwatchers’ paradise, with more than 300 bird species.
Map of the Waterberg
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Waterberg
- The Pilanesberg National Park 81 kilometers away
- The Madikwe Game Reserve 123 kilometers away
- Johannesburg 176 kilometers away
- The Escarpment 332 kilometers away
- Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve 338 kilometers away
- Greater Makalali Game Reserve 340 kilometers away
- Kapama Private Game Reserve 364 kilometers away
- Hazyview 372 kilometers away
- Thornybush Reserve 375 kilometers away
- Timbavati Game Reserve 390 kilometers away
- Sabi Sand Wildtuin 404 kilometers away
- Southern & Central Sectors Kruger National Park 428 kilometers away
- Kruger National Park 429 kilometers away
- Eswatini 459 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for the Waterberg
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Waterberg. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.