Visit the Waterberg, South Africa
The Waterberg region has been described as South Africa’s best kept secret. Its rugged beauty, together with its diversity of plant and animal life, has led to the development of several exciting ecotourism projects including a biosphere reserve, the Waterberg Conservancy, which is an amalgamation of game and farming areas protecting more than 1500 square kilometres of the Waterberg habitat.
The Waterberg range, incorporating many rivers, streams and swamps, stretches for 150 kilometres in a long arc from Thabazimbi in the west, through Nylstroom in the centre, to Potgietersrus in the east.
Apart from the spectacular mountain scenery there are many game sanctuaries, nature reserves and farms; often offering accommodation.
The 75 mammal species include big game such as elephant, lion, white and black rhino, hippo, leopard and buffalo. African python and Nile crocodile are also resident and it is a birdwatchers’ paradise, with more than 300 bird species.
Map of the Waterberg
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Waterberg
- The Pilanesberg National Park 51 miles away
- The Madikwe Game Reserve 77 miles away
- Johannesburg 110 miles away
- The Escarpment 207 miles away
- Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve 210 miles away
- Greater Makalali Game Reserve 211 miles away
- Kapama Private Game Reserve 226 miles away
- Hazyview 232 miles away
- Thornybush Reserve 233 miles away
- Timbavati Game Reserve 243 miles away
- Sabi Sand Wildtuin 251 miles away
- Southern & Central Sectors Kruger National Park 266 miles away
- Kruger National Park 267 miles away
- Eswatini 285 miles away
Photos of the Waterberg
Accommodation choices for the Waterberg
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Waterberg. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The style is an intriguing combination of stone and canvas with a delightful genuine African feel to the main lodge. You can also see the Big Five as well.
The Waterberg is a great safari destination that is far too often overlooked. It is located in the Welgevonden Private Reserve which forms part of the Waterberg.