Charlottesville is one of the jewels of Virginia, possessing some of the finest examples of early American architecture in the state.
Its historic center around pedestrianized Main Street, is shaded by magnificent magnolias, making the town a delightful place to stroll.
Thomas Jefferson, who made his home in Charlottesville, took great pride in founding the University of Virginia here, a building that was modeled on the Pantheon and completed in 1821. Today it is recognized as one of the country's most accomplished pieces of architecture.
Perhaps the greatest attraction in Charlottesville, however, is Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's magnificent mountaintop home. President Monroe's home, Ash Lawn-Highland, was built so that he could see Monticello from his front porch whilst President Madison's home, Montpelier, also lies nearby, just 20 miles north of the town.
Map of Charlottesville
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Charlottesville
- Virginia 44 kilometers away
- Front Royal 102 kilometers away
- Richmond 107 kilometers away
- Roanoke 155 kilometers away
- Washington D.C. 159 kilometers away
- Williamsburg 178 kilometers away
- Annapolis 203 kilometers away
- Baltimore 214 kilometers away
- St. Michaels 214 kilometers away
- Gettysburg 228 kilometers away
- Raleigh 253 kilometers away
- Virginia Beach 257 kilometers away
- Winston-Salem 266 kilometers away
- Lancaster 292 kilometers away
- Philadelphia 358 kilometers away
- Charlotte 377 kilometers away
- Wilmington 427 kilometers away
- Asheville 453 kilometers away
Photos of Charlottesville
Accommodation choices for Charlottesville
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Charlottesville. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.