Baltimore was founded in 1729 and soon became an important shipbuilding center where merchants prospered and the port flourished.
Today it is one of the most important cities on the east coast and boasts many distinct neighborhoods of interest to visitors. The maritime community of Fells Point is known for its lively bars, Little Italy for its superb Italian restaurants and fashionable Mount Vernon Place for its historic buildings and many museums.
At the inner harbor visitors can explore the inside of the World War II submarine Torsk, see the USS Navy frigate Constellation, the Pride of Baltimore II — a 160-foot topsail schooner — and visit the National Aquarium and Baltimore Maritime Museum. Overlooking the inner harbor a cannon stands as a reminder of the Civil War, when federal troops seized the railways and occupied Baltimore and nearby Annapolis to keep Maryland in the Union and to prevent Washington, D.C. from being surrounded by Confederate states.
The city is also home to the oldest music school in the United States, the Peabody Conservatory of Music, as well as the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and the Baltimore Opera. In addition the city boasts the country's oldest museum building, the Peale Museum, and the Baltimore Museum of Art.
The city is affectionately known as Crab City and there are dozens of reasonably priced steamed crab restaurants to tempt you.
Map of Baltimore
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Baltimore
- Annapolis 37 kilometers away
- Washington D.C. 57 kilometers away
- St. Michaels 66 kilometers away
- Gettysburg 80 kilometers away
- Lancaster 88 kilometers away
- Front Royal 142 kilometers away
- Philadelphia 146 kilometers away
- Richmond 208 kilometers away
- Charlottesville 214 kilometers away
- Williamsburg 225 kilometers away
- Virginia 243 kilometers away
- Virginia Beach 277 kilometers away
- New York 277 kilometers away
- Ithaca 352 kilometers away
- Roanoke 367 kilometers away
- New York State 412 kilometers away
- Raleigh 431 kilometers away
- Stockbridge 435 kilometers away
- Rochester 439 kilometers away
- Lenox 443 kilometers away
- Buffalo 443 kilometers away
- Albany 446 kilometers away
- Niagara Falls 470 kilometers away
- Winston-Salem 477 kilometers away