Richmond was founded in 1737 at the furthest navigable point on the James River and remained a quiet outpost until the Revolutionary War period.
This was when the Virginians realized that Williamsburg was prone to attack by British forces and moved their capital 50 miles inland to Richmond.
Despite this, the city was raided many times but nevertheless flourished to become a large and prosperous place by the time of the Civil War. Despite Virginia voting against secession from the Union, it became the capital of the Confederacy and this was when the enormous Tredegar Iron Works were established, the main engine of the Confederate war machine.
Just a week after the fall of Richmond in 1865, General Lee of the Confederate Army surrendered to the Union's General Grant at Appomattox. Much of the city had been devastated during the war but was rebuilt quickly and subsequently became the center of the flourishing tobacco industry.
Map of Richmond
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Richmond
- Williamsburg 71 kilometers away
- Virginia 90 kilometers away
- Charlottesville 107 kilometers away
- Virginia Beach 150 kilometers away
- Washington D.C. 156 kilometers away
- Front Royal 168 kilometers away
- St. Michaels 175 kilometers away
- Annapolis 181 kilometers away
- Baltimore 208 kilometers away
- Roanoke 224 kilometers away
- Raleigh 225 kilometers away
- Gettysburg 256 kilometers away
- Lancaster 295 kilometers away
- Winston-Salem 297 kilometers away
- Philadelphia 334 kilometers away
- Wilmington 372 kilometers away
- Charlotte 400 kilometers away
- New York 465 kilometers away
Photos of Richmond
Accommodation choices for Richmond
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Richmond. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.