Visit Asheville, Deep South
Asheville is a bohemian university town in the west of North Carolina that retains an appealing 1920s core. Here you may wish to take the urban art walking tour to discover the town's colorful neighborhoods, Art Deco buildings and book shops. Just out of the city is the Biltmore Estate, the largest private mansion in the USA with over 250 rooms. Also near the city lies the North Carolina Arboretum, a 426-acre public garden nestled in a beautiful natural setting.
Slightly further afield is Chimney Rock on the edge of Hickory Nut Gorge. Here you can either take stairs or a lift to the top of the rock where you will have a breathtaking panoramic view of Lake Lure below and, on a clear day, King’s Mountain 75 miles to the east. Hickory Nut Falls were a memorable backdrop to the Last of the Mohicans film.
Map of Asheville
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Asheville
- Cherokee 71 kilometers away
- Charlotte 161 kilometers away
- Winston-Salem 217 kilometers away
- Atlanta 267 kilometers away
- Roanoke 299 kilometers away
- Lexington 323 kilometers away
- Raleigh 355 kilometers away
- Nashville 386 kilometers away
- Charleston 397 kilometers away
- Louisville 407 kilometers away
- Savannah 415 kilometers away
- Virginia 433 kilometers away
- Wilmington 448 kilometers away
- Charlottesville 453 kilometers away
- Birmingham 453 kilometers away
Photos of Asheville
Accommodation choices for Asheville
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Asheville. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
With the Blue Ridge Mountains as its backdrop, the Biltmore Estate has been home to the Vanderbilt dynasty, one of America's wealthiest and best-known socialite families, since 1895 and remains to this day America's largest home.
Situated within walking distance of downtown Asheville, At Cumberland Falls is a charming, turn-of-the-century property set amidst beautiful gardens where bridges cross streams and waterfalls tumble into koi-filled ponds.