Visit Manitoulin Island, Canada
A continuation of the Niagara Escarpment, Manitoulin Island is strikingly different from the harsh grey rocks of the Canadian Shield.
With white cliffs, more than 100 freshwater lakes, gentle woods and open farmland, Manitoulin offers considerably contrasting scenery.
First Nations culture
Manitoulin means 'spirit island' in the Ojibwe language and today a quarter of the inhabitants are First Nations belonging to the Ojibwe, Odawa and Potawatomi peoples. Every August, Manitoulin Island hosts Canada's largest pow-wow, a splendid celebration of native culture. Smaller pow-wows take place throughout the summer and First Nations guided touring is a highlight for any visitor.
The island attracts not only summer sailors, fishermen and water sports enthusiasts but also archaeologists who have discovered a 10,000 year old Paleo-Indian site. At any time of year the ‘Cup and Saucer’ walking trail provides spectacular views over the island.
Map of Manitoulin Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Manitoulin Island
- Killarney Provincial Park 45 miles away
- Tobermory 47 miles away
- Bruce Peninsula & Fathom Five National Marine Park 52 miles away
- Port Severn 141 miles away
- Goderich and Lake Huron 144 miles away
- Huntsville 151 miles away
- Gravenhurst 152 miles away
- Algonquin Provincial Park 183 miles away
- Haliburton 189 miles away
- Ontario 201 miles away
- Toronto 204 miles away
- Niagara-on-the-Lake 235 miles away
- Niagara Falls 244 miles away
- Prince Edward County 275 miles away
- Pelee Island 278 miles away
Photos of Manitoulin Island
Accommodation choices for Manitoulin Island
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Manitoulin Island. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The Manitoulin Hotel offers comfortable, modern rooms with touches of First Nation décor. Its waterfront location, just 15 minutes from the nearby town of Little Currant, makes it a convenient base from which to explore the surrounding area.