Visit Thakhek, Laos
Situated on the banks of the Mekong River, with Thailand sitting on the opposite bank, Thakhek is a little visited relic of the French Colonial era.
It has some quaint colonial era buildings in the Old Town and a very relaxed pace of life.
There is little to do here except wander through the town and dine at one of the riverside restaurants but it is a useful base for exploring the nearby national parks.
Suggested itineraries featuring Thakhek
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Thakhek, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Thakhek
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Thakhek
- Hin Boun 29 miles away
- Khammuan & Savannakhet 59 miles away
- Vientiane 150 miles away
- Pakse 172 miles away
- Bolaven Plateau 175 miles away
- The Plain of Jars 183 miles away
- Champasak 187 miles away
- Vang Vieng 188 miles away
- Vieng Xai 212 miles away
- Sam Nuea 215 miles away
- Nam Et-Phou Louey 225 miles away
- 4,000 Islands 236 miles away
- Luang Prabang 245 miles away
- Nong Khiaw 267 miles away
- Pakbeng 297 miles away
- Muang La 298 miles away