Cape Maclear is a remote headland that juts out into crystal clear waters on the Southern Lakeshore.
World Heritage Site
The cape, offshore islands and surrounding lake waters were declared a national park in 1980, later to become a World Heritage Site. This remote area is reached by a rough, winding road which can become impassable in the rainy season.
Visitors to Cape Maclear can stay in Chembe — originally a small fishing village — or one of the tiny offshore islands.
Map of the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear
- Liwonde National Park 70 miles away
- Lilongwe 72 miles away
- Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve 93 miles away
- Zomba Plateau 100 miles away
- Majete Wildlife Reserve 132 miles away
- Likoma Island & Mozambique Lakeshore 136 miles away
- Thyolo Region 144 miles away
- Lake Malawi 167 miles away
- Viphya Forest Mountains 183 miles away
- The Northern Lakeshore 189 miles away
- Vwaza Marsh 228 miles away
- Nyika Plateau 243 miles away
Photos of the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear
Accommodation choices for the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.