Cape Maclear is a remote headland that juts out into crystal clear waters on the Southern Lakeshore.
World Heritage Site
The cape, offshore islands and surrounding lake waters were declared a national park in 1980, later to become a World Heritage Site. This remote area is reached by a rough, winding road which can become impassable in the rainy season.
Visitors to Cape Maclear can stay in Chembe — originally a small fishing village — or one of the tiny offshore islands.
Suggested itinerary featuring the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear
- Liwonde National Park 70 miles away
- Lilongwe 72 miles away
- Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve 93 miles away
- Zomba Plateau 100 miles away
- Majete Wildlife Reserve 132 miles away
- Likoma Island & Mozambique Lakeshore 136 miles away
- Thyolo Region 144 miles away
- Lake Malawi 167 miles away
- Viphya Forest Mountains 183 miles away
- The Northern Lakeshore 189 miles away
- Vwaza Marsh 228 miles away
- Nyika Plateau 243 miles away
Photos of the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear
Accommodation choices for the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.