Visit Zomba Plateau, Malawi
Zomba is a magnificent table-top mountain covered with forests, streams and waterfalls.
Activities around Zomba Plateau
It overshadows the old colonial town of Zomba, formerly the capital of Malawi. The top of the plateau stands at over 1,800 metres with sharp edges which drop away dramatically to the valley below. Visitors staying on the plateau can enjoy walking and cycling along the woodland paths to waterfalls and streams where you can try a spot of fishing.
The plateau is also the perfect base from which to explore Zomba Town, which aside from its faded colonial splendour has a bustling market full of local produce.
Map of Zomba Plateau
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Zomba Plateau
- Liwonde National Park 34 miles away
- Thyolo Region 49 miles away
- Majete Wildlife Reserve 59 miles away
- The Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear 100 miles away
- Lilongwe 142 miles away
- Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve 190 miles away
- Likoma Island & Mozambique Lakeshore 234 miles away
- Lake Malawi 266 miles away
- Viphya Forest Mountains 282 miles away
- The Northern Lakeshore 288 miles away
Photos of Zomba Plateau
Accommodation choices for Zomba Plateau
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Zomba Plateau. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
A rather quirky hotel in many ways but charming, comfortable and peaceful. The staff are efficient, the food good and the atmosphere perfect for relaxation.
Zomba Forest Lodge is an old colonial house, set high up on the mountain giving guests wonderful views over the landscape. This one of the best options for a stay in this scenic area.