Visit Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve, Malawi
The Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve is the largest reserve in Malawi, covering around 1,800 sq km with dense forests and pockets of evergreens over escarpments and hills.
Large mammals found here include elephant, lion, leopard, buffalo and sable antelope and there are plans to re-introduce species such as giraffe and black rhino.
Birdlife International has classified the reserve as an Important Bird Area (IBA). With over 280 species of birds already recorded it is believed that further exploration of this largely uncharted area will likely increase this figure considerably.
Until very recently the reserve has remained little known and rarely visited. However, now a small ecolodge has opened within the park and this wild area is becoming accessible to visitors.
Speak to someone
who's been there
Start planning your tailor-made trip to Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve by contacting one of our Malawi specialists
- 01993 838 540
- Make an enquiry
Map of Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve
- Lilongwe 75 miles away
- Likoma Island & Mozambique Lakeshore 76 miles away
- Lake Malawi 89 miles away
- The Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear 93 miles away
- Viphya Forest Mountains 94 miles away
- The Northern Lakeshore 110 miles away
- Vwaza Marsh 139 miles away
- Nyika Plateau 159 miles away
- Liwonde National Park 162 miles away
- Zomba Plateau 190 miles away
- Majete Wildlife Reserve 209 miles away
- Thyolo Region 230 miles away
Accommodation choices for Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Tongole Wilderness LodgeNkhotakota Wildlife Reserve