Visit Vwaza Marsh, Malawi
Northwest of Mzuzu along the Zambian border lies Vwaza Marsh Game Reserve, a 400 square mile area of marsh and plain.
Vegetation in the reserve varies from forest and grassland, to thin woodland and marsh.
Wildlife of Vwaza Marsh Game Reserve
At the heart of the reserve is Lake Kazuni, home to a large number of hippo which can often be seen basking on sandbanks during the day. The lake attracts large herds of elephant — particularly in the dry season — plus buffalo, waterbuck, eland, roan, sable, zebra, impala and baboons. The bird life, especially waders, is excellent. Predators to be found in the area include lion and leopard whilst wild dog are elusive but occasionally seen.
The reserve is undeveloped and has few roads, however walks and drives can be rewarding.
Map of Vwaza Marsh
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Vwaza Marsh
- Nyika Plateau 37 miles away
- Viphya Forest Mountains 46 miles away
- The Northern Lakeshore 60 miles away
- Lake Malawi 74 miles away
- Likoma Island & Mozambique Lakeshore 113 miles away
- Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve 139 miles away
- Lilongwe 206 miles away
- The Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear 228 miles away
- Liwonde National Park 298 miles away