Liwonde is Malawi’s premier game-viewing destination and, while the game here does not match Zambia’s Luangwa Valley, it does not fail to impress.
The park is dominated by the vast Shire River, with its banks covered in lush vegetation, the many resident hippo pods and the constant splash of crocodiles.
Wildlife of Liwonde National Park
Game includes elephant, sable antelope, waterbuck, impala, and bushbuck, and the birding is excellent. In the centre of the park a protected area provides a safe haven for the black rhino, buffalo and zebra which are being reintroduced to the park.
Activities in the park include game drives, walks and boat trips. A gin and tonic sundowner looking over the Shire River is the perfect way to end the day.
Suggested itinerary featuring Liwonde National Park
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Liwonde National Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Liwonde National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Liwonde National Park
- Zomba Plateau 34 miles away
- The Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear 70 miles away
- Thyolo Region 83 miles away
- Majete Wildlife Reserve 85 miles away
- Lilongwe 123 miles away
- Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve 162 miles away
- Likoma Island & Mozambique Lakeshore 201 miles away
- Lake Malawi 234 miles away
- Viphya Forest Mountains 252 miles away
- The Northern Lakeshore 256 miles away
- Vwaza Marsh 298 miles away
Photos of Liwonde National Park
Accommodation choices for Liwonde National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Liwonde National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.