Liwonde is Malawi’s premier game-viewing destination and, while the game here does not match Zambia’s Luangwa Valley, it does not fail to impress.
The park is dominated by the vast Shire River, with its banks covered in lush vegetation, the many resident hippo pods and the constant splash of crocodiles.
Wildlife of Liwonde National Park
Game includes elephant, sable antelope, waterbuck, impala, and bushbuck, and the birding is excellent. In the center of the park a protected area provides a safe haven for the black rhino, buffalo and zebra which are being reintroduced to the park.
Activities in the park include game drives, walks and boat trips. A gin and tonic sundowner looking over the Shire River is the perfect way to end the day.
Map of Liwonde National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Liwonde National Park
- Zomba Plateau 55 kilometers away
- The Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear 112 kilometers away
- Thyolo Region 133 kilometers away
- Majete Wildlife Reserve 137 kilometers away
- Lilongwe 198 kilometers away
- Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve 260 kilometers away
- Likoma Island & Mozambique Lakeshore 324 kilometers away
- Lake Malawi 377 kilometers away
- Viphya Forest Mountains 406 kilometers away
- The Northern Lakeshore 412 kilometers away
- Vwaza Marsh 479 kilometers away
Photos of Liwonde National Park
Accommodation choices for Liwonde National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Liwonde National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.