The Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve is the largest reserve in Malawi, covering around 1,800 sq km with dense forests and pockets of evergreens over escarpments and hills.
Large mammals found here include elephant, lion, leopard, buffalo and sable antelope and there are plans to re-introduce species such as giraffe and black rhino.
Birdlife International has classified the reserve as an Important Bird Area (IBA). With over 280 species of birds already recorded it is believed that further exploration of this largely uncharted area will likely increase this figure considerably.
Until very recently the reserve has remained little known and rarely visited. However, now a small ecolodge has opened within the park and this wild area is becoming accessible to visitors.
Map of Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve
- Lilongwe 120 kilometers away
- Likoma Island & Mozambique Lakeshore 122 kilometers away
- Lake Malawi 143 kilometers away
- The Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear 149 kilometers away
- Viphya Forest Mountains 152 kilometers away
- The Northern Lakeshore 176 kilometers away
- Vwaza Marsh 223 kilometers away
- Nyika Plateau 255 kilometers away
- Liwonde National Park 260 kilometers away
- Zomba Plateau 305 kilometers away
- Majete Wildlife Reserve 336 kilometers away
- Thyolo Region 369 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve