Visit Vwaza Marsh, Malawi
Northwest of Mzuzu along the Zambian border lies Vwaza Marsh Game Reserve, a 400 square mile area of marsh and plain.
Vegetation in the reserve varies from forest and grassland, to thin woodland and marsh.
Wildlife of Vwaza Marsh Game Reserve
At the heart of the reserve is Lake Kazuni, home to a large number of hippo which can often be seen basking on sandbanks during the day. The lake attracts large herds of elephant — particularly in the dry season — plus buffalo, waterbuck, eland, roan, sable, zebra, impala and baboons. The birdlife, especially waders, is excellent. Predators to be found in the area include lion and leopard whilst wild dog are elusive but occasionally seen.
The reserve is undeveloped and has few roads, however walks and drives can be rewarding.
Map of Vwaza Marsh
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Vwaza Marsh
- Nyika Plateau 59 kilometers away
- Viphya Forest Mountains 73 kilometers away
- The Northern Lakeshore 96 kilometers away
- Lake Malawi 119 kilometers away
- Likoma Island & Mozambique Lakeshore 182 kilometers away
- Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve 223 kilometers away
- Lilongwe 332 kilometers away
- The Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear 367 kilometers away
- Liwonde National Park 479 kilometers away