The Northern Lakeshore is characterized by scattered villages, golden beaches and small coves.
The attractive shoreline has seen several lodges spring up and there are some excellent options for visitors looking for a few days of relaxation as part of their trip to Malawi.
The drive from Lilongwe to the Northern Lakeshore takes about five hours and you may like to break up the journey with a stop-off at Nkhotakota Pottery. Here you can watch the skilled potters in the workshop, buy examples of their craft and have a cup of coffee in the pretty café overlooking the Lake.
Map of the Northern Lakeshore
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Northern Lakeshore
- Lake Malawi 36 kilometers away
- Viphya Forest Mountains 61 kilometers away
- Nyika Plateau 92 kilometers away
- Likoma Island & Mozambique Lakeshore 94 kilometers away
- Vwaza Marsh 96 kilometers away
- Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve 176 kilometers away
- Lilongwe 295 kilometers away
- The Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear 303 kilometers away
- Liwonde National Park 412 kilometers away
- Zomba Plateau 463 kilometers away