Cape Maclear is a remote headland that juts out into crystal clear waters on the Southern Lakeshore.
World Heritage Site
The cape, offshore islands and surrounding lake waters were declared a national park in 1980, later to become a World Heritage Site. This remote area is reached by a rough, winding road which can become impassable in the rainy season.
Visitors to Cape Maclear can stay in Chembe — originally a small fishing village — or one of the tiny offshore islands.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear
- Liwonde National Park 112 kilometers away
- Lilongwe 117 kilometers away
- Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve 149 kilometers away
- Zomba Plateau 161 kilometers away
- Majete Wildlife Reserve 211 kilometers away
- Likoma Island & Mozambique Lakeshore 219 kilometers away
- Thyolo Region 231 kilometers away
- Lake Malawi 268 kilometers away
- Viphya Forest Mountains 294 kilometers away
- The Northern Lakeshore 303 kilometers away
- Vwaza Marsh 367 kilometers away
- Nyika Plateau 391 kilometers away
Photos of the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear
Accommodation choices for the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.