The Majete Wildlife Reserve is southwest of Blantyre in Southern Malawi.
It is one of Malawi's largest protected areas and covers an area of over 70,000 hectares. Two rivers converge in the park, the Shire and Mkulumadzi Rivers.
Much of the game congregates around these water sources, particularly in the drier months from June to November. Species of animals include elephant, black rhino, buffalo, eland, zebra, sable, nyala, kudu, waterbuck, impala, yellow baboon, vervet monkey, porcupine and more. Predators include spotted hyena, leopard, serval, genet and civet.
Birding is good with around 250 species recorded including Pel's fishing owls, lappet-faced vultures, racket-tailed rollers and African skimmers. There are some beautiful nesting colonies of carmine and white-fronted bee-eaters.
Map of Majete Wildlife Reserve
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Majete Wildlife Reserve
- Thyolo Region 60 kilometers away
- Zomba Plateau 95 kilometers away
- Liwonde National Park 137 kilometers away
- The Southern Lakeshore & Cape Maclear 211 kilometers away
- Lilongwe 233 kilometers away
- Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve 336 kilometers away
- Likoma Island & Mozambique Lakeshore 428 kilometers away
- Lake Malawi 472 kilometers away
Photos of Majete Wildlife Reserve
Accommodation choices for Majete Wildlife Reserve
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Majete Wildlife Reserve. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Majete Wildlife Reserve