There is only one road into Lüderitz, and the sand blows over it creating mini drifts and dunes and grains swirl in the air.
Bulldozers work around the clock to keep the road open.
Reaching the coast, the town of Lüderitz is fascinating, a real outpost with turn of the century architecture and the ghost towns of the diamond boom nearby, preserved by the sands of the desert.
Penguins and flamingos
There’s also the penguin colony at Halifax Island to visit and we recommend just walking with the flamingos on the beaches south of Lüderitz. There, you will find shells and ghost crabs and are unlikely to see another soul.
Suggested itineraries featuring Lüderitz
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Lüderitz, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lüderitz
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lüderitz
- Aus 69 miles away
- The NamibRand Nature Reserve 122 miles away
- Southern Namibia 130 miles away
- Sossusvlei & Sesriem 134 miles away
- Fish River Canyon 170 miles away
- The Naukluft Mountains 189 miles away
- Walvis Bay 260 miles away
- Swakopmund and Pelican Point 278 miles away
- Southern Kalahari 287 miles away