Located on one of South Africa’s UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Bushmans Kloof is a multi award-winning private lodge set on a vast natural estate; home to one of the greatest concentrations of San rock art anywhere in Africa.
Cederberg Ridge Wilderness Lodge
Set on a citrus and grape farm overlooking the Cederberg Mountains, Cederberg Ridge Wilderness Lodge is an attractive, modern property that offers complete tranquility. You get a sense of the isolation here as you snake up the single dirt road to the lodge, mountains rising on all sides of you. The stone-built lodge is set among trees and lush grounds, with the mountains directly in front of you. You can enjoy the views from the outdoor saltwater pool or while playing croquet on the lawn, while a fire pit provides warmth and atmosphere at night.
Inside, the building's vaulted ceilings and wooden beams give a sense of its history, while various maps and local artwork adorn the walls, giving it the feel of a country farmhouse. You'll find lots of comfy corners to relax in, including a library, a sitting room with its own bar and a spa complete with relaxation room.
There are just nine guest rooms and suites here, which are well spaced out for privacy. All are stylishly decorated in natural tones and textures, while suites have wood-burning stoves and private outdoor showers.
Fresh, home-cooked meals can be prepared for you at breakfast, lunch (when a packed picnic is also an option) and dinner, all prepared using ingredients from the local area.
Your time here can be spent hiking or biking out in the mountains, searching for ancient San rock art with a guide and enjoying stargazing sessions after sunset.
Speak to someone
who's been there
- Make an inquiry
With an understated-yet-stylish decor of white and grays, the nine rooms and suites ensure the scenery outside is the star of the show, which you can enjoy from your window seat or private stone terrace. You can even sleep alfresco if requested in advance. All come with en suite bathrooms complete with underfloor heating, air conditioning, Wi-Fi and tea/coffee facilities.
You can choose from classic rooms, one of which has views of the mountains, while the other overlooks the courtyard. For more space, stay in a luxury or superior suite, which have wood-burning fireplaces, indoor and outdoor showers, freestanding bath tubs and expansive mountain views. There's a superior honeymoon suite, which has a separate sitting area and feels a little more private. This can also combine with a luxury suite to form a two-bedroom villa. Two more luxury suites can also combine to provide a two-bedroom option with a central sitting room.
The lodge is situated on Kleinvlei Farm, just outside Clanwilliam, just over two hours outside Cape Town. Your remote surroundings are all part of the property's charm, whether you want to enjoy them while relaxing in the grounds or explore the mountains for yourself by bike or on foot.
Food and drink
- Farm-to-table food sourced from the local area can be enjoyed at breakfast (both hot and cold options), lunch and dinner.
- Picnic lunches can be prepared if you're planning to head out to explore.
- Fresh bread baked daily.
- Homemade ice cream.
- Tea and coffee on request.
- Fully stocked bar with local wines and beer.
- Children aged six and over are welcome at the lodge. Younger children may also be accepted by prior arrangement depending on the number of children already at the lodge.
- There is a range of activities to keep children entertained, from croquet and boules to board games, hikes and enjoying the swimming pool.
- Some suites can connect to form spacious two-bedroom options for up to four adults and three children. The window seat in a luxury suite can be turned into an additional bed for one child.
Facilities and activities
- Hiking and biking trails and guided trips through the mountains.
- Boat cruises and water sports on the nearby dam.
- Guided tours to see San rock art.
- Rooibos tea farm and vineyard tours.
- Spa treatments.
- Stargazing deck.
- Swimming pool and deck.
- One of the classic rooms is wheelchair-friendly with a ledge seat in the shower and specially adapted toilet.
If you’re looking for somewhere to unwind and leave your stress at the door, you’ve found it. The management team live on-site and have years of experience, which we find really shows in the attention to detail. As well as the mountain views and peaceful atmosphere here, we love the broad range of activities you can do that really showcase the region's highlights.
Places & hotels on the map
Alternative places to stay nearby
Where possible, we like to offer a range of accommodation for each stop of your trip, chosen by our specialists as some of their favorite places to stay. To help you make the right choice, we give each property a rating based on its facilities and service, but we also look for hotels with distinct character or a location that can’t be bettered.