Visit Port Fairy, Australia
In early 1800 a boat called ‘The Fairy’ chose this tiny bay on the mouth of the Moyne River to shelter from a storm.
Steeped in charm, there is also a historic Celtic influence in the architecture of this town of restaurants and a flourishing arts scene: open studios and galleries scatter the streets and are linked into a delightful Art Walk.
Exploring Port Fairy
The beauty of the coastline is at its best on Griffiths Island, home to a colony of mutton birds, and on Lady Julia Percy Island where lava flows have created an almost flat top with soaring cliffs.
Although seen by many as an overnight stop, Port Fairy is a perfect base from which to explore the famous and somewhat notorious Shipwreck Coast.
Suggested itineraries featuring Port Fairy
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Port Fairy, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Port Fairy
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Port Fairy
- The Shipwreck Coast 85 kilometers away
- The Grampians National Park 126 kilometers away
- The Great Ocean Road 132 kilometers away
- Apollo Bay 132 kilometers away
- Daylesford & Macedon Ranges 203 kilometers away
- Queenscliff 213 kilometers away
- Melbourne 247 kilometers away
- Mornington Peninsula 255 kilometers away
- Robe 257 kilometers away
- Phillip Island 263 kilometers away
- Victoria 270 kilometers away
- Yarra Valley & Dandenong Ranges 287 kilometers away
- Wilsons Promontory National Park 363 kilometers away
- Coorong National Park 367 kilometers away
- Walhalla 373 kilometers away
- Stanley 374 kilometers away
- The Gippsland Lakes 463 kilometers away
- Fleurieu Peninsula 467 kilometers away
- Murray River 473 kilometers away
Photos of Port Fairy
Accommodation choices for Port Fairy
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Port Fairy. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Oscars Boutique Hotel is in a prime location for exploring Port Fairy and the surrounding areas. The property is located right on the waterfront alongside a very pretty boardwalk.
54 on Bank comprises 15 suites and cottages situated on Bank Street, and have undoubtedly become one of Port Fairy's little gems.