Visit the Shipwreck Coast, Australia
Blowholes roar with spouting water and the ocean seems to boil around towering rock stacks on this majestic coastline.
At the cavernous Loch Ard Gorge, the stunning vista of towering cliffs, sparkling sea and a tiny sandy beach make it hard to imagine the dramas that have unfolded in the treacherous waters.
The beautiful Twelve Apostles, set off by a backdrop of dramatic, imposing cliffs are part of a procession of natural features that string the coast: Pudding Basin Rock, Island Arch, the Blowhole and London Bridge.
This coast is best seen when the winds are fierce, whipping the ocean into a frenzy, playing out the natural force that has battered and crafted the landscape into shape. Boardwalks and viewing platforms ensure easy access to the sweeping, awe-inspiring vistas, with blazing hues at sunrise and sunset.
There are plenty of day tours leaving from Melbourne, but these often prove to involve too much driving: our recommendation would be to take your time and spend a night or two in Port Fairy and Apollo Bay.
Suggested Shipwreck Coast itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Shipwreck Coast, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Shipwreck Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Shipwreck Coast
- The Great Ocean Road 47 kilometers away
- Apollo Bay 48 kilometers away
- Port Fairy 85 kilometers away
- Queenscliff 142 kilometers away
- The Grampians National Park 173 kilometers away
- Daylesford & Macedon Ranges 173 kilometers away
- Mornington Peninsula 182 kilometers away
- Phillip Island 186 kilometers away
- Melbourne 186 kilometers away
- Yarra Valley & Dandenong Ranges 228 kilometers away
- Victoria 233 kilometers away
- Wilsons Promontory National Park 280 kilometers away
- Stanley 298 kilometers away
- Walhalla 302 kilometers away
- Robe 342 kilometers away
- The Gippsland Lakes 389 kilometers away
- Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park 415 kilometers away
- Metung 422 kilometers away
- Strahan & Gordon River 429 kilometers away
- Deloraine 437 kilometers away
- Coorong National Park 446 kilometers away
- Launceston 459 kilometers away