Visit the Shipwreck Coast, Australia
Blowholes roar with spouting water and the ocean seems to boil around towering rock stacks on this majestic coastline.
At the cavernous Loch Ard Gorge, the stunning vista of towering cliffs, sparkling sea and a tiny sandy beach make it hard to imagine the dramas that have unfolded in the treacherous waters.
The beautiful Twelve Apostles, set off by a backdrop of dramatic, imposing cliffs are part of a procession of natural features that string the coast: Pudding Basin Rock, Island Arch, the Blowhole and London Bridge.
This coast is best seen when the winds are fierce, whipping the ocean into a frenzy, playing out the natural force that has battered and crafted the landscape into shape. Boardwalks and viewing platforms ensure easy access to the sweeping, awe-inspiring vistas, with blazing hues at sunrise and sunset.
There are plenty of day tours leaving from Melbourne, but these often prove to involve too much driving: our recommendation would be to take your time and spend a night or two in Port Fairy and Apollo Bay.
Suggested itinerary featuring the Shipwreck Coast
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Shipwreck Coast, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Shipwreck Coast
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Shipwreck Coast
- The Great Ocean Road 30 miles away
- Apollo Bay 30 miles away
- Port Fairy 53 miles away
- Queenscliff 88 miles away
- The Grampians National Park 108 miles away
- Daylesford & Macedon Ranges 108 miles away
- Mornington Peninsula 113 miles away
- Phillip Island 116 miles away
- Melbourne 116 miles away
- Yarra Valley & Dandenong Ranges 142 miles away
- Victoria 145 miles away
- Wilsons Promontory National Park 174 miles away
- Stanley 185 miles away
- Walhalla 188 miles away
- Robe 212 miles away
- The Gippsland Lakes 242 miles away
- Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park 258 miles away
- Metung 263 miles away
- Strahan & Gordon River 266 miles away
- Deloraine 272 miles away
- Coorong National Park 278 miles away
- Launceston 286 miles away