Visit Port Fairy, Australia
In early 1800 a boat called ‘The Fairy’ chose this tiny bay on the mouth of the Moyne River to shelter from a storm.
Steeped in charm, there is also a historic Celtic influence in the architecture of this town of restaurants and a flourishing arts scene: open studios and galleries scatter the streets and are linked into a delightful Art Walk.
Exploring Port Fairy
The beauty of the coastline is at its best on Griffiths Island, home to a colony of mutton birds, and on Lady Julia Percy Island where lava flows have created an almost flat top with soaring cliffs.
Although seen by many as an overnight stop, Port Fairy is a perfect base from which to explore the famous and somewhat notorious Shipwreck Coast.
Suggested Port Fairy itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Port Fairy, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Port Fairy
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Port Fairy. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of Port Fairy
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Port Fairy
- The Shipwreck Coast 53 miles away
- The Grampians National Park 78 miles away
- The Great Ocean Road 82 miles away
- Apollo Bay 82 miles away
- Daylesford & Macedon Ranges 127 miles away
- Queenscliff 132 miles away
- Melbourne 154 miles away
- Mornington Peninsula 158 miles away
- Robe 160 miles away
- Phillip Island 164 miles away
- Victoria 168 miles away
- Yarra Valley & Dandenong Ranges 179 miles away
- Wilsons Promontory National Park 226 miles away
- Coorong National Park 228 miles away
- Walhalla 232 miles away
- Stanley 232 miles away
- The Gippsland Lakes 288 miles away
- Fleurieu Peninsula 290 miles away
- Murray River 294 miles away