Hugging the contours of Victoria’s rugged coast, this famous road snakes from the surf-capital of Torquay past cliffs, scenic lookouts, rainforests, wrecked ships, and laidback fishing villages on its way to Port Fairy.
Between Angelsea and Lorne the Otway Ranges forests are riven with waterfalls and bushwalks, with the Otway Fly walkway offering you a chance to explore the forest canopy.
Along the Great Ocean Road
Drive along the coastline past the tiny hamlets of Wye River and Skenes Creek to Apollo Bay, and briefly head inland to Lavers Hill, the highest point in the Otway Ranges, where Melba Gully has one of the most impressive rainforest walks.
Princetown marks the boundaries of the Otway and Port Campbell National Parks, where the spectacular Shipwreck Coast starts. Picturesque Warrnambool, less than half an hour from Port Fairy, is a lovely maritime village where each June southern ‘right whales’ visit to calve offshore.
Places to visit in the Great Ocean Road
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Great Ocean Road, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travellers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested Great Ocean Road itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in the Great Ocean Road, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Great Ocean Road
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Great Ocean Road
- Apollo Bay The Great Ocean Road
- Port Fairy The Great Ocean Road
- The Shipwreck Coast The Great Ocean Road
- Queenscliff 66 miles away
- Mornington Peninsula 89 miles away
- Phillip Island 89 miles away
- Melbourne 97 miles away
- Daylesford & Macedon Ranges 103 miles away
- Yarra Valley & Dandenong Ranges 122 miles away
- The Grampians National Park 127 miles away
- Victoria 134 miles away
- Wilsons Promontory National Park 146 miles away
- Walhalla 163 miles away
- Stanley 163 miles away
- The Gippsland Lakes 216 miles away
- Metung 236 miles away
- Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park 237 miles away
- Robe 241 miles away
- Deloraine 248 miles away
- Strahan & Gordon River 249 miles away
- Launceston 261 miles away
- Tasmania 282 miles away
Accommodation choices for the Great Ocean Road
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Great Ocean Road. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.