Historic Launceston and the Tamar Valley blend history, scenery and the superb flavors of food and wine.
Launceston is a city of contrasts; a short walk from the graceful Victorian facades is the scenic Cataract Gorge with its peacocks and rhododendrons, fern glades and spacious lawns.
Exploring the city
Take a heritage walk exploring the city’s history, colonial churches and elegant architecture.
Travel the Tamar Valley wine route through many award winning cool-climate wineries, for which Tasmania is gaining a world-beating reputation, as well as the Grubb Shaft Gold and Heritage Museum, one of Tassie’s largest goldmines, and coastal Georgetown, where you can see fairy penguins in their natural habitat.
Personalized tours can lead you to private wine tastings, exploring forest reserves or even a face to face meeting with a quoll or Bennet's wallaby.
Suggested Launceston itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Launceston, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Launceston
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Launceston
- Deloraine 42 kilometers away
- Tasmania 84 kilometers away
- Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park 105 kilometers away
- Swansea 109 kilometers away
- Freycinet National Park 130 kilometers away
- Mount Field National Park 143 kilometers away
- Richmond 147 kilometers away
- Maria Island National Park 153 kilometers away
- Hobart 163 kilometers away
- Strahan & Gordon River 171 kilometers away
- Stanley 172 kilometers away
- Huon Valley 178 kilometers away
- Port Arthur 199 kilometers away
- Wilsons Promontory National Park 287 kilometers away
- Phillip Island 368 kilometers away
- The Gippsland Lakes 380 kilometers away
- Mornington Peninsula 392 kilometers away
- Walhalla 393 kilometers away
- Metung 399 kilometers away
- Queenscliff 412 kilometers away
- The Great Ocean Road 419 kilometers away
- Apollo Bay 421 kilometers away
- Melbourne 441 kilometers away
- Yarra Valley & Dandenong Ranges 447 kilometers away
- Croajingolong National Park 457 kilometers away
- The Shipwreck Coast 459 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Launceston
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Launceston. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Launceston
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Launceston, and which use the best local guides.