Visit Launceston, Australia
Historic Launceston and the Tamar Valley blend history, scenery and the superb flavors of food and wine.
Launceston is a city of contrasts; a short walk from the graceful Victorian facades is the scenic Cataract Gorge with its peacocks and rhododendrons, fern glades and spacious lawns.
Exploring the city
Take a heritage walk exploring the city’s history, colonial churches and elegant architecture.
Travel the Tamar Valley wine route through many award winning cool-climate wineries, for which Tasmania is gaining a world-beating reputation, as well as the Grubb Shaft Gold and Heritage Museum, one of Tassie’s largest goldmines, and coastal Georgetown, where you can see fairy penguins in their natural habitat.
Personalized tours can lead you to private wine tastings, exploring forest reserves or even a face to face meeting with a quoll or Bennet's wallaby.
Suggested Launceston itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Launceston, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Launceston
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Launceston
- Deloraine 26 miles away
- Tasmania 52 miles away
- Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park 65 miles away
- Swansea 68 miles away
- Freycinet National Park 81 miles away
- Mount Field National Park 89 miles away
- Richmond 92 miles away
- Maria Island National Park 95 miles away
- Hobart 101 miles away
- Strahan & Gordon River 107 miles away
- Stanley 107 miles away
- Huon Valley 111 miles away
- Port Arthur 124 miles away
- Wilsons Promontory National Park 178 miles away
- Phillip Island 229 miles away
- The Gippsland Lakes 236 miles away
- Mornington Peninsula 244 miles away
- Walhalla 245 miles away
- Metung 248 miles away
- Queenscliff 256 miles away
- The Great Ocean Road 261 miles away
- Apollo Bay 262 miles away
- Melbourne 274 miles away
- Yarra Valley & Dandenong Ranges 278 miles away
- Croajingolong National Park 284 miles away
- The Shipwreck Coast 286 miles away
Accommodation choices for Launceston
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Launceston. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Launceston
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Launceston, and which use the best local guides.