Lake St Clair and Cradle Mountain are two iconic elements of this Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area. The scenery is awe-inspiring, as eucalyptus forests give way to mountain scenery reminiscent of Scotland’s finest.
Whether taking a gentle walk around the enchanting Dove Lake, a summit walk to Cradle Mountain peak or even indulging in the six- to eight-day ‘Overland Track’ from Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair, you are highly likely to encounter wallabies, wombats and possums at close quarters.
As well as the walking, you can visit the Waldheim Hut, home to pioneer conservationist Gustav Weindorfer, and the Wilderness Photography Gallery, experience bountiful fly-fishing and horse riding, and even see the wilderness from the air, on a spectacular flight across lakes and peaks from Cradle Valley.
Suggested itinerary featuring Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park
- Deloraine 40 miles away
- Strahan & Gordon River 44 miles away
- Tasmania 49 miles away
- Launceston 65 miles away
- Mount Field National Park 72 miles away
- Stanley 75 miles away
- Richmond 104 miles away
- Huon Valley 107 miles away
- Hobart 108 miles away
- Swansea 113 miles away
- Maria Island National Park 126 miles away
- Freycinet National Park 127 miles away
- Port Arthur 139 miles away
- Wilsons Promontory National Park 194 miles away
- Phillip Island 228 miles away
- The Great Ocean Road 237 miles away
- Apollo Bay 238 miles away
- Mornington Peninsula 243 miles away
- Queenscliff 249 miles away
- The Shipwreck Coast 258 miles away
- Walhalla 263 miles away
- The Gippsland Lakes 268 miles away
- Melbourne 274 miles away
- Yarra Valley & Dandenong Ranges 283 miles away
- Metung 284 miles away
Photos of Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park
Accommodation choices for Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Located on the edge of the spectacular Cradle Mountain - Lake St Clair National Park, this wilderness lodge offers an element of luxury in this untouched landscape.