Visit Mahabalipuram, India
Mahabalipuram has been a center for stone carving for hundreds of years, a legacy displayed in superb temples, bas reliefs and mandapas (narratives carved into the face of shallow rock overhangs).
The most famous example in Mahabalipuram is the Shore Temple, but the intriguing unfinished temples provide an insight into the sculptor’s art.
Mahabalipuram is a good base to explore the region, visiting Chennai only on day trips whilst enjoying the leisurely atmosphere in this breezy coastal town on the Bay of Bengal.
Suggested itineraries featuring Mahabalipuram
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Mahabalipuram, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Mahabalipuram
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Mahabalipuram
- Chennai 50 kilometers away
- Kanchipuram 60 kilometers away
- Pondicherry 86 kilometers away
- Tranquebar 181 kilometers away
- Tanjore 234 kilometers away
- Trichy 260 kilometers away
- Bangalore 286 kilometers away
- Chettinad 324 kilometers away
- Madurai 377 kilometers away
- Mysore 388 kilometers away
- Ooty 405 kilometers away
- Waynad 437 kilometers away
- Palakkad 439 kilometers away
- Munnar 444 kilometers away
- Nagarhole National Park 447 kilometers away
- Belur & Halebid 466 kilometers away
- Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary 477 kilometers away
- Kothamangalam 482 kilometers away
Photos of Mahabalipuram
Accommodation choices for Mahabalipuram
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Mahabalipuram. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Built amongst the ruins of a Dutch fort just south of Chennai, Vivanta by Taj - Fisherman's Cove is set above a stunning beach that stretches away on either side.