Visit Ooty, India
Just over the border in Tamil Nadu, this former grand hill station (complete with golf course and race track) remains popular with Indian tourists enjoying the cool air.
Though the center of Ooty retains a certain charm, the countryside is spectacular and we recommend you stay outside the town for a peaceful experience.
Blue Mountain Railway
Ooty can be reached by road but the sedate, four-hour journey from Mettupalayam along the narrow-gauge Blue Mountain Railway, is a must for railway enthusiasts.
Suggested itineraries featuring Ooty
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Ooty, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Ooty
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Ooty
- Waynad 52 kilometers away
- Palakkad 72 kilometers away
- Nagarhole National Park 94 kilometers away
- Mysore 101 kilometers away
- Tellicherry 137 kilometers away
- Kothamangalam 150 kilometers away
- Munnar 153 kilometers away
- Coorg 154 kilometers away
- Kerala 158 kilometers away
- Cochin 170 kilometers away
- Neeleshwar 198 kilometers away
- Bangalore 200 kilometers away
- Mararikulam 206 kilometers away
- The Backwaters 214 kilometers away
- Belur & Halebid 216 kilometers away
- Thekkady & Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary 221 kilometers away
- Madurai 228 kilometers away
- Trichy 229 kilometers away
- Chettinad 272 kilometers away
- Tanjore 276 kilometers away
- Kovalam 336 kilometers away
- Pondicherry 348 kilometers away
- Tranquebar 348 kilometers away
- Kanchipuram 364 kilometers away
- Mahabalipuram 405 kilometers away
- Chennai 428 kilometers away
- Hospet 431 kilometers away
- Gokarna 436 kilometers away
- Hampi 438 kilometers away
Photos of Ooty
Our expert guides to exploring Ooty
Written by our specialists from their own experiences of visiting Ooty, these guides will help you make the most of your time there. We share both our practical recommendations and the best ways to appreciate Ooty at its best.
The toy trains of India cross valleys, ravines and rivers to access some of the country’s most scenic landscapes. India specialists share their experiences of riding on mountain railways from the Himalayan hill stations of Darjeeling and Shimla to the tropics of Ooty.
Accommodation choices for Ooty
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Ooty. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Considered to be the best place to stay in Ooty, this hotel offers you all the comforts you would expect from a Taj property.
Ideas for experiencing Ooty
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Ooty, and which use the best local guides.
The famous Blue Mountain Railway which was built by Nilgiri citizens and finished in 1898, is one of the oldest and steepest operating rack and pinion system. Ten years later the link to Ooty was completed.